This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
I’ve been a dog blogger for nearly 5 years now and during that time I’m always coming across the odd dog holiday from National Dress You Pet Up Day (it’s not in October) to National Scoop the Poop Week (please honor that one year round…thank you!). We recently wrote a bit about International Guide Dog Day. We felt compelled to celebrate the day since Dublin had graduated as a working guide dog 3 days earlier. However, not until today did I decide to scour the internet and try and find all the dog holidays.
So the results are in from today’s research. Here are the remaining dog holidays I found across the net.
Dog Holidays for 2012
- January – Train Your Dog Month
- January 29 – Seeing Eye Dog Day
- February 2 – Sled Dog Day
- February 7-14 – Have a Heart for Chained Dogs Week
- February 22 – Walking the Dog Day
- February 23 – International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day
- March 3- What If Cats and Dogs Had Opposable Thumbs Day
- March 23 – National Puppy Day
- April 24-30 National Scoop the Poop Week
- April 28 – International Guide Dog Day
- May – National Service Dog Eye Examination Month
- May 1 – MayDay for Mutts
- May 13-19 – National Dog Bite Prevention Week
- May 20-26, 2012: Dog Bite Prevention Week
- June 22 – Take Your Dog to Work Day
- July – Dog House Repairs Month
- July 3-August 11 – Dog Days
- July 31 – National Mutts Day
- August 5- National Assistance Dog Day
- August 5-11 – International Assistance Dog Week
- Aug. 9, 2012: National Assistance Dog Day
- August 26 – National Dog Day
- September – National Guide Dogs Month
- September – AKC Responsible Dog Ownership Month
- September 15 – Responsible Dog Ownership Day
- September 15 – Puppy Mill Awareness Day
- September 23-29 – National Dog Week
- September 23 – Dogs and Politics Day
- October – Adopt a Dog Month (AHA)
- October – Adopt a Shelter Dog Month
- October 1 – Fire Pup Day
- 1st Week of October. National Walk Your Dog Week
- October 20 – Pit Bull Awareness Day
- November 18-24 – Puppy Mill Action Week
- December 2 – National Mutts Day
- December 21 – Underdog Day
I combined lists from many different pet holiday sites adding and removing when I though it wasn’t a dog or puppy related holiday. Take a look at these wonderful resources if you want to find out about just about every pet holiday celebrated on the planet:
If you looked at the above lists then you know that I left out quite a few pet holidays, but I didn’t want to have a dog holiday list that was all inclusive so I left out the general pet holidays (although I we do always cover dental health month at our Guide Dog meetings in February) as well as the more funky squirrel appreciation days (yeah, my dogs love chasing the squirrels too). Although you might notice that we did include the “What If Cats and Dogs Had Opposable Thumbs Day”. A good question and maybe the answer deserves a post of it’s own…to be continued…
Anyhow, are there any strictly dog holidays I left off this list. Tell us about it in the comment section below. Maybe next year we’ll do an all inclusive “Pet Holidays” list.
Top Picks For Our Puppies
- BEST PUPPY TOY
We Like: Calmeroos Puppy Toy w/ Heartbeat and Heat Packs - Perfect for new puppies. Helps ease anxiety in their new home.
- BEST DOG CHEW
We Like: Natural Farm Bully Sticks - All of our puppies love to bite, nip, and chew. We love using Bully Sticks to help divert these unwanted behaviors.
- BEST DOG TREATS
We Like: Crazy Dog Train-Me Treats - We use these as our high-value treats for our guide dog puppies.
- BEST FRESH DOG FOOD
We Like: The Farmer's Dog - A couple months ago we started feeding Raven fresh dog food and she loves it! Get 50% off your first order of The Farmer's Dog.
Check out more of our favorites on our New Puppy Checklist.