This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Many of you already know that I love talking about the OC Pet Expo every year. In fact I usually start writing articles about the Expo starting at the beginning of the new year and usually put together 1 or 2 updates as reminders (we don’t want you to miss out).
We’re now in the final stretch with opening day beginning in less than 1 week!
We found out that Apache and I will be working as volunteers at the Guide Dogs of America booth. We’re currently scheduled to work from 3-6pm on Friday, April 20th, 2012, but we’ll most likely come earlier in the day so we can help out the other puppy raisers.
If you’re planning on attending this years Orange County Pet Expo please stop by the Guide Dogs of America booth and say hello to Apache and I. Our booth is located in Building 10, Booth 1079. Here’s a map of where we’re located:
The OC Pet Expo 2012 is held at the Orange County Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa, California.
We’ve been attending the pet expo for over 5 years now and we’ve volunteered at the GDA booth for the past 5 years as well. During that time we’ve learned a few things that help make the pet expo a more enjoyable event.
Tips For This Years OC Pet Expo
Here are a few tips we’ve learned:
- Order your tickets online and you’ll save $2 per ticket. Here’s a link to order your tickets.
- Fridays especially Friday mornings is the least busiest time. It’s nice to beat the crowds. ***however, this may change this year since “Fido Friday” is the first and only day this year the OC Pet Expo is allowing pet dogs at this event.
- Grab a program as soon as you enter so you can see what demonstrations you’d like to attend. Make sure you look at all the events and plan your day accordingly. Some of our favorites are Splash Dogs, Police and Search Dog Demonstration, K9 Nosework Demo. There’s a ton of stuff going on every 15 minutes and as you can see I’m a bit biased towards the dogs, but there’s demonstrations and exhibits for all kinds of pets. A few examples of other pet demos: The Birdman, Hamster Judging, The mystery of cat shows, etc.
- Bring along cash. There are tons of great opportunities to buy products or give donations, but not all groups may accept credit cards.
- Visit the Guide Dogs of America Booth and say hi to Apache and I!
Tips For People Bringing Their Dogs For “Fido Friday”
If you plan on bringing your own pet dog here are a few extra tips for the OC Pet Expo:
- Make sure you read the policy and sign the waiver for Fido Friday.
- Make sure your dog can handle a high stress environment. There’s a lot of noises, animals, children running, people in wheelchairs, loud noises, people on microphones, clapping, etc. There’s a lot going on at the pet expo and you want it to be a fun day for your dog not a miserable, stressful day.
- Your dog may be a good dog, but you have to consider the 100’s of other dogs at the pet expo. Always keep a close eye not only on what your dog is doing, but what the other dogs and animals might be doing.
- I always bring water for my dog, but I don’t usually bring food. If you plan on staying all day you may want to bring some food for your dog as well.
- It could be a long hot day. We’ve attended some years when it was very hot. Make sure you give your dog a chance to take breaks throughout the day.
- The black top (asphalt) at the pet expo can get very hot and can easily burn your dogs paws. Be careful and plan accordingly.
This is the first Fido Friday at the OC Pet Expo so I’m not too sure what to expect. However, I do know that it can be a very stressful day for our guide dog puppies and I always make sure to keep an eye on not only my dog, but everything that is going on around us especially the other dogs.
I hope these few tips help if you’re planning to attend this years pet expo. Of course if you are coming to the OC Pet Expo 2012 please make sure you stop by the Guide Dogs of America booth (Building 10, Booth 1079) and say hello!
Top Picks For Our Puppies
- BEST PUPPY TOY
We Like: Calmeroos Puppy Toy w/ Heartbeat and Heat Packs - Perfect for new puppies. Helps ease anxiety in their new home.
- BEST DOG CHEW
We Like: Natural Farm Bully Sticks - All of our puppies love to bite, nip, and chew. We love using Bully Sticks to help divert these unwanted behaviors.
- BEST DOG TREATS
We Like: Crazy Dog Train-Me Treats - We use these as our high-value treats for our guide dog puppies.
- BEST FRESH DOG FOOD
We Like: The Farmer's Dog - A couple months ago we started feeding Raven fresh dog food and she loves it! Get 50% off your first order of The Farmer's Dog.
Check out more of our favorites on our New Puppy Checklist.