This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
I went over to the mail box today and pulled out a little postcard with information on the Guide Dogs of America Open House 2012. I’ve been raising guide dogs for Guide Dogs of America (GDA) since 2006 and every year I do my best to attend the GDA Open House in June as well as bring my puppy in training to compete in the puppy trials.
This year will be no different as I plan to bring Apache, my Golden Retriever puppy in training to this years GDA Open House.
If you haven’t been to the GDA Open House then I highly recommend you go and if you’ve been in the past then I’m sure you’re eager to check out all of those cute guide dog puppies in training and bid on some of the awesome items at the silent auction.
I put together a video of Dublin and I at last years open house. Check it out:
Here’s information on this years GDA Open House.
Guide Dogs of America Open House 2012
This years theme is “Saddle up for a Western Day at GDA”
WHAT: Guide Dogs of America (GDA) Open House 2012
WHEN: Saturday, June 9th, 2012 from 10:45am – 4:00pm
WHERE: Guide Dogs of America
13445 Glenoaks Blvd., Sylmar, CA 91342
Here’s a schedule of events at this years open house:
- Gates open between 10:45AM and 4:00PM
- Main events wind down by 3:00PM
- Puppy Trials 11:30AM – 2:00PM
- Guide Dog Demonstrations – 1:00PM
- Silent Auction Closes at 2:30PM
- Tours every 30 minutes
- Raffles, Food, Merchandise
- All proceeds go to GDA
Sorry, only working service dogs and puppies-in-training may attend. Please leave your career-changed dogs and pets at home.
That pretty much sums up the postcard. Some of my favorite things are:
- There are always tons of cool things at the silent auction. Cool stuff for dogs, cats, and pet lovers as well as many different items and baskets for all kinds of people.
- The Puppy Kissing Booth. Get your puppy breath fix for a dollar!
- The crazy obstacles at the puppy trials. There are usually Llamas and chicken and even hot dogs on sticks to distract your puppy.
- The guide dog demonstration. It’s pretty cool to see working dogs in action. You even have a shot at participating in the demo.
- Finally, the school always auctions off this awesome quilt made by the Orange County Quilters Guild.
So don’t forget to mark your calendars: Saturday, June 9th, 2012. Hopefully Apache and I will see you there!
Who else out there has attended the GDA Open House? What’s your favorite thing to do when going to open house. Tell us about it in the comment section below.
Top Picks For Our Puppies
- BEST PUPPY TOY
We Like: Calmeroos Puppy Toy w/ Heartbeat and Heat Packs - Perfect for new puppies. Helps ease anxiety in their new home.
- BEST DOG CHEW
We Like: Mighty Paw Naturals Bully Sticks - All of our puppies love to bite, nip, and chew. We love using Bully Sticks to help divert these unwanted behaviors.
- BEST DOG TREATS
We Like: Crazy Dog Train-Me Treats - We use these as our high-value treats for our guide dog puppies.
- BEST FRESH DOG FOOD
We Like: The Farmer's Dog - A couple months ago we started feeding Raven fresh dog food and she loves it! Get 50% off your first order of The Farmer's Dog.
Check out more of our favorites on our New Puppy Checklist.