*Well, almost a perfect puppy…..when people see me out and about with my well-behaved service dog puppies they say: “I want a perfect puppy too! tell me how you did it?”
My name is Colby, I created the Puppy In Training blog to tell our story about raising and training guide and service dog puppies and to help you train your puppy.
Whether you’re just thinking about picking up your first puppy or you’re a grizzled veteran of the dreaded puppy vampire teeth this blog will help you on your way to a well-behaved,
perfect practically perfect puppy (just like Mary Poppins: “Practically Perfect In Every Way”).
This page contains information to help you get up to speed quickly and start working on some of the basics of raising and training a puppy.
About You And Your Puppy
QUICK TIP: No matter if you’re about to bring home a puppy or already have one tearing up your house you’ll want to take a look at our new puppy checklist. We include anything and everything we could think of that you need for your new puppy.
If you’ve reached our site then you are probably in some way, shape, or form associated with/in love with/frustrated with/enamored with a puppy (or future puppy).
I’m taking an
wild educated guess as to who you are to help you find the information you need to make your puppy raising journey as pleasant as possible.
Puppy Raiser: You are a puppy raiser (or future puppy raiser) for one of the many guide or service dog schools around the globe.
If this is you then you might be most interested in our Puppy In Training TV series, a YouTube TV show that documents our journey with our third Guide Dog puppy in training, Dublin. Check out Puppy In Training TV!
Pre-Puppy: You’re still in the decision making process: Should you get a puppy? What kind of puppy should you get? Lets start you off with 5 tips you can use when bringing home a new puppy.
bliss pain of puppyhood! Thank god puppies are cute adorable creatures because after the initial bliss of bringing home your puppy you realize this is going to be no easy chore.
Potty training, crying, yelping, howling, barking, biting/nipping, jumping, digging, counter surfing these are all parts of the joys of raising and training a puppy. Lets get started with some of the most common puppy problems:
Dog Lover: The majority of the site revolves around puppies and our journey raising and training guide dog puppies. However, it’s been many years since we started writing to the blog.
Two of our puppies are well into adulthood. Stetson is 12 and Raven is 5 years old. Unfortunately, we lost our beloved Linus last year 🙁
We can’t leave our older puppies out of the mix! So you might notice from time to time we will veer off and talk about Linus, Stetson, Raven and dogs in general
Stetson has considered a career as a therapy dog and Linus wanted to get certified as a K9 Nosework dog.
Pet Product Advertiser: If you’re hoping to advertise one of your products on our site then congratulations you’ve done more than 95% of pet product advertisers. We wrote this blog post specifically for you: A Post For Pet Product Advertisers.
Puppy In Training Is Everywhere
Well, not really…but we do keep an active presence on some of the most popular social media channels.
- YouTube – up to this point with posted Puppy In Training TV videos and Product Review videos on our YouTube Channel. Check it out and subscribe!
- Pinterest – we love visual search and enjoy collecting and pinning our favorite content.
- Facebook – we have an active page on Facebook with over 70K “likes”. If you love cute puppy pictures this is where we post most of our favorite puppy pics from our various outings and events.
Most Popular Puppy Products
Are you looking for a popularity contest? Some of our favorite products are also reader favorites. Here’s a list of the top 5 puppy products we sell on Amazon:
- SmartLove Snuggle Puppy – a plush puppy with heat pad and beating heart. A great toy for new puppies.
- Rocco & Roxie Stain and Odor Eliminator – if you have potty accidents make sure you get an enzymatic cleaner to completely remove potty odors.
- The Puppy Primer – a great introductory puppy book. It’ll give you a good foundation to start when raising and training your puppy.
- Dog Crate – Midwest Life Stages – we crate train all of our puppies and we’ve used the same Midwest crate for all of our puppies for 15 years.
- Grannicks Bitter Apple Spray – does your puppy bite, chew, destroy things? Bitter Apple Spray can help deter these unwanted behaviors.
That’s our top 5 and must haves in any puppy starter kit. By the way did I mention we have an extensive essential new puppy checklist. Oh yeah, I did…
I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For?
Okay U2…if you’re still confused, you still don’t have a perfect puppy, and you still can’t find the answer to your puppy problems please leave us a comment below and we’ll do our best to answer your question.