Welcome to week two starring Raven and her litter of Golden Retriever pups! Week 2 marks several key milestones in puppy development.
In case you missed it here’s a link back to week 1 of our Golden Puppies.
A few things to note about the first couple weeks of puppyhood:
- I was lucky enough to be there to whelp Raven’s first litter and all the puppies came out happy and healthy, but I was still a bit nervous during those early weeks as I was told puppies cannot regulate their temperature so I wanted to make sure their living quarters were not too hot or too cold.
- I slept the first few nights right next to the whelping box to make sure everyone was doing well.
- The puppies did great during week 2, but Raven developed mastitis. Luckily we were able to treat her with antibiotics and heat compressions and she made a full recovery, but scary none the less.
Our Golden pups hit a couple huge milestones during week 2. Read on to see what happened with our Golden litter…
Golden Retriever Pups Week 2
When the pups were born we marked them with shave marks on different spots on their bodies. As they got older we gave the pups names and collars to differentiate them from each other.
Puppies were born a couple days after Veterans Day so we went with a Veteran’s Day theme for our puppy names. Here’s our puppy chart:
|Puppy||Shave Mark||Color||Weight (Day 8)|
|Liberty (Berlin)||Right Back Leg||Green||1 lb 12.5 oz|
|Tank (Bear)||Left Back Leg||Black||2 lb 2 oz|
|Trooper (Buster)||Right Shoulder||Red||1 lb 15 oz|
|Patriot||Left Shoulder||Blue||2 lb 2 oz|
|Spirit||Lower Back||Pink||1 lb 13.5 oz|
|Gunner||Upper Back||Brown||1 lb 14.5 oz|
Day 8 – Ohhhh…The Puppy Piles!
The result of puppies sleeping close together to keep warm? Puppy Piles! Puppy Piles! Puppy Piles! You’re going to see lots of puppy piles throughout this series of posts, but there’s nothing wrong with that…is there?
Day 11 – Eyes Wide Open!
What an exciting day for me and the pups. I started noticing the puppies eyes opening for the first time on Day 11. It’s not super dramatic you just start to see the eyes cracking open a little bit. You’ll see a lot of pictures of pups with eyes wide open by the start of week 3.
Day 13 – Puppies Start Walking…I Mean Waddling 🙂
Puppies started walking on day 13…if you can call it walking. It’s more like waddling, but as adorable as can be. No more army crawl for these cute munchkins!
And that’s the end of week two for our Golden Retriever Pups! Lets do a quick recap:
- Puppy Piles are adorable 🙂
- Puppies eyes start to open.
- Puppies start to walk/waddle.
- An end to the army crawl.
Week 2 of our series on Golden Retriever puppy growth week by week is in the books! Check out our other Golden Retriever puppy growth week by week growth charts:
- Week 1 – Six Golden Retriever puppies are born!
- Week 2 -This is Week 2!
- Week 3 – First bark! Good or Bad…Adorable 🙂
- Week 4 – Little guys are starting to eat solid foods.
- Week 5 – Coming Soon
- Week 6 – Coming Soon
- Week 7 – Coming Soon
- Week 8 – Coming Soon
So how about your guys? Have you ever raised a litter of Golden Retriever puppies? If so, tell us about your experiences in the comment section below.