This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Here we are again. The start of a new year!
Time for us to reflect on the past year and look forward to the future.
Take a look at last years Pet Bloggers Journey 2021
We’d love to hear about your goals for the coming year. Do the following on your blog:
- Copy the questions below to a blog post and answer each question.
- Leave a message in the comment section with a link to your Pet Bloggers Journey blog post.
- I’ll add your link to the main content of the blog post which will get you some extra exposure and a valuable backlink to help increase your search traffic. I’ll add new links to this blog post through January 14th, 2022.
- Visit your fellow pet blogger’s PBJ post and read, comment, encourage your fellow participants.
PBJ 2022 Questions
- When did you begin your blog and what do you currently write about on your blog?
- Name one thing about your blog, or one blogging goal that you accomplished during 2021, that made you most proud.
- What was the biggest blogging challenge you faced in 2021? How did you tackle it?
- Tell us one thing you learned in 2021 that can help us all become better bloggers.
- What are your top three blogging goals for 2022?
- In the perfect world, where do you see yourself and your blog one year from now?
- If you had a $1,000 to spend on your blog how would you spend it?
- What is one skill you’d like to learn or improve in 2022?
- If you could ask the pet blogging community for help with one challenge you’re having with your blog, what would it be?
Enough talk. Let’s get this party started!
Pet Bloggers Journey 2022
For those of you who participated in last year’s Pet Blogging Journey make sure you read through last year’s post before answering this year’s questions.
1. When did you begin your blog and what do you currently write about on your blog?
I launched my blog on August 1st, 2007. I write about my experiences raising and training service dog puppies.
2. Name one thing about your blog, or one blogging goal that you accomplished during 2021, that made you most proud.
Take a look at my 3 goals from my 2021 Pet Bloggers Journey post and my thoughts on how I did:
#1. Diversify my traffic sources by mastering my email list
I took some giant leaps forward with my email list. I set up a forever email series. I tested different forms, buttons, lead boxes using Convertkit and Leadpages. I created new lead magnets. In the end, I added over 10,000 new subscribers in 2021.
OUTCOME: Did I master my email list? Not quite but I’ll give myself a thumbs up.
#2. Complete all 15 challenges in Income Schools Ultimate Content Warrior Challenge
I was excited to compete in the Ultimate Content Warrior Challenge last year. However, I was discouraged when I got bounced from the challenge after round 4 in large part due to a low score on the first challenge: formulating a really good blog post.
I wrote an article specifically for the UCW Challenge, yet it flopped according to my score from the Income School guys.
“Why do we fall, sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up.” – Alfred, Batman
How is that article performing nearly 1 year later? For the past 6 months that single article is averaging over 6,000 pageviews a month!
Moral of the story: Trust yourself. Even the experts might be wrong.
OUTCOME: I’ll give myself a thumbs up even though I didn’t complete the 15 challenges 🙂
#3. Diversify my monetization channels by releasing a product
I have a hard date to sell my first information product by January 7th, 2022. I have to hustle this week to make that dream a reality.
OUTCOME: To be determined
3. What was the biggest blogging challenge you faced in 2021?
- Lack Of Focus
- Shiny Object Syndrome
- Falling Down A Rabbit Hole
…yep, I looked up and started listening to White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane while writing this…
How did you tackle it?
One thing that helps me is getting out of the house and sitting down at a coffee shop or bookstore to work. It removes the distractions around the house.
…Wow, White Rabbit is a short song. It already ended…
See what I mean? Easily distracted.
4. Tell us one thing you learned in 2021 that can help us all become better bloggers.
Don’t let Imposter Syndrome paralyze you. I know, I know, it’s easier said than done.
As I mentioned earlier I was very discouraged when I received low scores for the UCW challenge: Formulate a really good blog post.
This made me think and rethink: was the way I formulate a blog post correct or was I doing something wrong. I thought on this for several weeks and it really slowed my start to 2021.
In the end, I should have trusted my process and taken the Income School guy’s scores and critiques with a grain of salt. As I mentioned, the post in question now receives over 6K page views a month.
5. What are your top three blogging goals for 2022?
Big things are afoot to start the year. I mentioned this on our Facebook page, we are getting a new guide/service dog puppy on January 7th, 2022.
Goal #2 is specific to the new puppy. Here are all 3 goals:
#1. Diversify my monetization channels by releasing a product – I’m cheating a little bit as this was my goal from 2021 but my completion date is in 2022.
Sell first product by January 7th, 2022.
My Reward: If I sell my first product by January 7th, 2022 then I will celebrate by taking the girls to their favorite restaurant: Chuck E Cheese! Seeing the girls smile makes me happy.
#2. Revive the YouTube Channel with a series of videos about our new puppy in training. – I need to start planning this immediately, like as soon as I finish writing this blog post!
Complete the first video by January 14th, 2022.
My Reward: If I complete the first video by Jan. 14th I will take the girls to the movies. Did I mention I like making my girls happy?
#3. Start running Facebook Ads to generate new leads, customers, and sales.
Run first FB Ad Campaign by January 31st, 2022
My Reward: If I run my first Facebook Ad by January 31st, 2022 then I will treat my lovely wife to Omakase Sushi. Did I mention I like making my girl happy 🙂
6. In the perfect world, where do you see yourself and your blog one year from now?
On January 1st, 2023 I hope to look back at the past 12 months and see…that I created several new products that my readers LOVE because they solve the problems they encounter on a daily basis.
7. If you had a $1,000 to spend on your blog how would you spend it?
Since one of my goals is to master Facebook Ads I would spend my $1,000 on a Facebook Ad campaign
8. What is one skill you’d like to learn or improve in 2022?
I said it once and I’ll say it again. I’m going to do my darndest to master Facebook Ads to grow my audience.
By the way, I also plan on looking at Google Ads and Pinterest Ads at some point in time this year.
9. If you could ask the pet blogging community for help with one challenge you’re having with your blog, what would it be?
Elon Musk will pay 11 billion in taxes this year.
I’m not at that level…yet but I have been making a full-time income with my blog for a few years now and Uncle Sam takes a pretty big bite out of those profits.
My question is what do you do to minimize your taxes?
I’d love to hear your tax-saving tips!
That’s a wrap!
A look into the past and the future of the Puppy In Training blog.
It’s your turn now. Here’s your mission if you choose to accept it:
- Copy the above questions and answer them on your blog.
- Add a comment on this post with a link to your Pet Bloggers Journey post.
- I will add a link to your blog in the table below. I’ll add new links though January 14th 2022.
- Visit and support your fellow pet bloggers by clicking, reading, following and commenting on their Pet Bloggers Journey blog posts.
Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy.
Have a great, safe, and healthy new year!
I’ll see you all in 2022!
Pet Bloggers Journey Participants
|1. Puppy In Training||2. Boogie The Pug|
|3. Fidose of Reality||4. Happy Oodles|
|5. This Puppy Travels||6. Pet Faves|
|7. That Mutt||8. Daily Dog Food Recipes|
|9. Maggie Loves Orbit||10. I Love My Chi|
|11. Paw Print Pet Blog||12. Wag A Bond|
Top Picks For Our Puppies
- BEST PUPPY TOY
We Like: Snuggle Puppy w/ Heart Beat & Heat Pack - Perfect for new puppies. We get all of our Service Dog pups a Snuggle Puppy.
- BEST DOG CHEW
We Like: Natural Farm Bully Sticks - All of our puppies love to bite, nip, and chew. We love using Bully Sticks to help divert these unwanted behaviors.
- BEST DOG TREATS
We Like: Crazy Dog Train-Me Treats - We use these as our high-value treats for our guide dog puppies.
- BEST FRESH DOG FOOD
We Like: The Farmer's Dog - A couple months ago we started feeding Raven fresh dog food and she loves it! Get 50% off your first order of The Farmer's Dog.
Check out more of our favorites on our New Puppy Checklist.