Crate Training Puppies

Crate training puppies is an exercise in patience (with Stetson it certainly was).  If there’s one thing I’ve learned as a guide dog puppy raiser it’s how to crate train a puppy.  I’ve been raising puppies now for the past seven years and I’m currently raising my third guide dog puppy.  Stetson, my first guide dog puppy was very stubborn and hated his crate.  Needless to say, Stetson almost ended my guide dog puppy raising career just as it was beginning.  If you’ve been following my blog for a while then you already know that it took Stetson over four weeks to get used to his crate.  In fact, he did not let me sleep more than two hours in a row during those four weeks.

Crate Training Puppies

When it comes to crate training puppies each puppy is at least slightly different.  Stetson was an extreme case and after those four weeks of pure torture much to my joy he went totally silent and would sleep in the crate all morning without a peep.  Dublin was on the other end of the spectrum and only had a couple nights of whimpering before he began sleeping through the night.  Below is Dublin during one of his first puppy crate training sessions.

Over the years I’ve learned many tips and tricks on crate training puppies.  Today we’re going to share with you the basics of how to crate train a puppy and then give you some of those tips and tricks for those of you who have a stubborn puppy who doesn’t want to adjust to his crate.

How To Crate Train A Puppy

As a guide dog puppy raiser we are given exact steps on how to crate train our puppies.  Here’s what our Guide Dogs of America puppy manual says about crate training puppies:

A crate is a wire or molded plastic kennel that simulates a nest or den environment.  A crate can become a puppy’s safe place, not to mention a house saver.  When properly used, the crate becomes a security blanket, a place where the puppy can retreat to escape the household confusion and to feel secure.  Never use the crate as a form of punishment!  The dog crate should offer a positive, secure environment, a calming zone.

The crate can be effective in house training.  Confined to a crate, an unattended puppy cannot destroy or soil anything.  Do not crate the puppy during the day for more than 3 hours.

Start crate training your puppy on its first night.  Place the crate in your bedroom where the puppy can still see and hear what is going on.  Put a blanket or towel in the crate for bedding.  A pup will rarely soil the crate, however, if he does, try removing the bedding.  A crate should not be too big, but large enough for the puppy to stand stretch and turn around.

When placing the puppy in the crate, use the word “kennel” or “kennel up”.  If he should happen to fall asleep somewhere else, pick him up and place him inside and quietly shut the door.

Do not hesitate to periodically use the crate, even while you are home.  You may feed the puppy in his crate and give him some favorite toys, to keep the experience positive.

How To Crate Train A Puppy

Crate Training Puppies

Our Favorite Crate Training Tips

Over the past seven years we’ve learned quite a bit about crate training puppies from crate training our first puppy, Linus who we rescued from the animal shelter, to working on crate training litters of puppies as foster parents, and finally crate training our very own guide dog puppies as guide dog puppy raisers.  As you might have guessed over those past seven years we’ve learned many puppy training tips and tricks including a handful of useful crate training tips.  Here’s a list that will hopefully help you out if you have a stubborn pup who whines, whimpers, barks, yelps, cries, and pretty much any other disturbing noise a pup can make in his crate:

1. If you get to meet your pups litter mates then bring a plush toy or blanket to rub all over his litter mates.  When it comes time to put your pup in his crate leave the toy or blanket in the crate too with the scent of his litter mates.  this may help your pup sleep better at night.  This seemed to work with Dublin.
  2. If your pup wakes up crying in the middle of the night take him straight to his potty spot to relieve himself.  As soon as he finishes up his business take him straight back to his crate without any play time or other distractions
  3. Make sure you feed him at least an hour and a half before bedtime.  Also, it’s been suggested to cut off water an hour and a half before bedtime so he won’t have to pee in the middle of the night.
  4. Play with your puppy for an extended period of time just before bedtime to tire him out.
  5. If you have a wire crate try putting a sheet over it to make him feel more cozy and enclosed.  Be careful because I’ve had pups pull and chew on the bed sheet over the crate.
  6. Put your crate near the bed where your puppy can see you and if he starts crying hang your arm down so he can smell your scent. and if that doesn’t work then…
  7. You can try sleeping on the floor next to the crate.  This worked with my rescue puppy, Linus.
  8. Feed him his meals in his crate.  This will make him more comfortable entering his crate.
  9. Put plush snuggly toys in the crate to keep him company.  Be careful.  I’ve had pups chew, destroy and swallow plush toys when unsupervised.
  10. If he takes a nap during the day move him from the floor into the crate. Try doing this with the door open and closed.
  11. Try leaving the door open but lying down across the doorway of the crate as if to nap with him, to make him feel more comfortable in the crate, and at the same time make my body block the doorway.
  12. When he’s in the crate and being quiet make sure to give him lots of praise
  13. Try the heart beat toy. I’ve heard of a toy that simulates the mom’s heartbeat that helps the puppy sleep.  We haven’t tried this one yet, but if we have another stubborn pup it will be on our wish list.
  14. Try the heated toy. I’ve also heard of a toy that has a thing on the inside that you can warm on the inside and insert in the toy. Makes the puppy feel like he’s with one of his litter mates.  Another one we haven’t tried yet, but will be on the top of our wish list if we have a pup who doesn’t sleep.
  15. The one that worked for me and Stetson – I was a wreck and I thought Stetson would never get used to his crate. The only way I was able to get him to sleep was to talk to him for 5-10 minutes, telling him what a “good boy” he was when he wasn’t crying (if he did cry I would just keep silent tell he stopped). To try and quiet him down I’d either say “quiet” or “Shhh”.
In Episode 1 of Puppy In Training TV we talked about some of the first things we do when bringing home a puppy.  We also talked a little bit about crate training puppies and Dublin’s first night in his crate.  Lucky for us there weren’t too many nights of Dublin howling in his crate.  Take a look at some of the basics in our first episode of Puppy In Training TV:

Dog Crate Training

Comments

1. angela says

Hi I am crate training my 9 week boxer puppy. She is peeing and pooing in the crate overnight and then whines to be let out. what should I do if she doesnt cry when she has to go?

2. Michelle says

Hi,

Your blog is amazing. Thank you for taking the time. I just picked up my 8 week old black labrador. And we have begun crate training but she really dislikes it. The first night she cried and even threw up… my husband sat next to the crate so she wouldn’t feel alone but nothing helped. We have tried making it fun for her or at least comfortable but she just cries all night. And even during the day when she naps and we put her in the crate, the moment she feels the door close she wakes up and starts crying. Is this all normal. Should I stop? Please help. I feel terrible hearing her.

Hi Michelle,

Congratulations on your new puppy! Stetson did the same thing as your puppy when I first brought him home. Unfortunately, the news is not good. It took Stetson about 4 weeks to get used to his crate. I got very little sleep during that time. In general most of my puppies took about a week or less before they got used to the crate. Stetson was definitely the exception. By the way, Stetson is also a black Labrador. I would do my best to try and make every experience with the crate a positive one. You can also try the 15 items I listed in the blog post.

Hopefully your pup adjusts to the crate more quickly then Stetson.

Good luck with your training!
      Colby

• Michelle says

Thank you and Thank you so much for your response Colby. It is a relief having some type of guide and knowing that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Is it normal for her to look sad? I am sorry if the question sounds silly but it just seems she is so sad when she is in the crate. I will definitely look at the 15 items in listed in your blog to make it more enjoyable for her.

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

I’m sure she’s giving you the puppy dog eyes and that does look pretty sad. Just make sure you stay strict and consistent with her. She’ll pick it up quicker if you stay consistent, persistent, and patient.

Good luck with training!
          Colby

• Michelle says

Colby,

That’s exactly what she is doing! Lol…
            I again can’t thank you enough!
            Michelle

3. Deanna says

Hi Colby,

Thanks for the wonderful blog and you tube videos. I’ve picked up a lot of info already but I find I’m getting some conflicting info and wondered what your take would be.

I pick up my 8 week old Yorkie-Poo in less than two weeks. I live in the midwest and it’s FREEZING outside right now. I’ve heard that housebreaking a Yorkie is very difficult. Here’s where the conflicting information comes in.

The first breeder I visited (Yorkies only) warned me about taking the pup outside before it’s had all of its shots because of the chance of picking up Parvo that lives in the ground for up to 10 years. I have a fenced backyard, but the previous owners had two small dogs and I don’t know their history – and I’ve only lived here for 9 months. So that makes me a little nervous about taking the pup outside. Not to mention the freezing temps right now. I’m wondering if he would go at all!

So this breeder told me that instead, I should put the pup and it’s crate, etc. inside a pen – in the house – and use hospital pads (all-fabric potty pads) in the pen for the pup to go potty on. But this seems conflicting to me because ultimately, I want the dog to be able to do its biz outside.

The other thing that worries me is that I live alone and work so the dog will be alone for 9 hours, M-F. There is no one that can come by and help out. But I had some folks suggest that I put the pup in my bathroom, with a baby gate up – and just leave potty pads, the crate, toys, food/water, etc. in there for him and he would be fine. I know it’s not ideal, but realistically – shouldn’t he be fine?

Anyway, there are my concerns and I’m wondering what you think.

Thanks for reading!

Hi Deanna,

Congratulations on your new puppy! As you mentioned things aren’t ideal, but as far as the things you mentioned it sounds like you’ve thought things through very well. If you’re not sure about your yard being safe for your puppy then I would consider the second option you mentioned with the crate, inside pen, and pads. You may have to do some re-training to get your puppy to potty outside after his vaccinations.

I would consider trying to do something to not leave your puppy at home all day. Maybe you can look into getting a pet sitter. If you do leave your puppy home alone then make sure there’s nothing in his area that he can swallow or choke on.

Best of luck with training!
      Colby

4. Millie says

At the start of reading this article my chiuaua puppy Daisy was screaming her head off. It’s her first night in her brand new crate. My dh kept telling me just ignore her she’ll stop…well by the time I finished reading she finally did. I’ll be sure tomorrow to use your tips to get her used to it. I thought I was going to crack for a bit.just wanted to pull the poor thing out and hold her.shes used to sleeping alone, by our bed, we had her in a large tote, but by the end of the first week she was climbing out, so payday came and we bought a crate. My mistake was not waiting till tomorrow to introduce her to it :(

5. Taylor Jamison says

What a site! Love it and thanks for the help.

Here is my issue. I live in an apartment with a room mate and we are trying to figure out how should we potty train our puppy.

We have been told not to let him go outside until he has been potty trained. So we are wondering where should we potty train him? Should we get a double aided crate to use the restroom on one side and sleep on the other? I’m completely lost what to do.

So questions
    1. Should we get double sided crate.
    2. Can he go outside to pee? He has been doing well since we take him out a lot and has a specific spot.
    3. If we only get a single sided crate should we just use puppy pads? Until he can officially go outside.

Here is a little background.

I’ve had the pup for 1 day now. I am currently at my parents house since I had to pick up the puppy from my home town and stayed the weekend. I’ll return home tomorrow . He is a red nose pit.

Please help

Hi Taylor,

Congratulations on the new puppy! I’m not sure why your puppy shouldn’t be allowed outside until he is potty trained. It is a good idea for your puppy not to go outside in common areas until he is fully vaccinated. Do you have a private backyard? If so, it should be okay to take him out to this area to work on potty training. If you’re only option is to have him learn to potty in the house then I would choose a designated area and always take him to that spot to potty.

Out of the options you mentioned I would go with option 2 as long as you have an area that other dog’s don’t frequent like a backyard. Otherwise I would do option 3 and use potty pads in a designated spot in your house.

Good luck with your training!
      Colby

6. Misty says

Hi Colby,
    Thank you for sharing wonderful information to new pet owners like me.I brought home a 35 days old lab .I wanted to know if I can leave her home for 2-3 hours as I have to take my kid out for her drawing class. It would be great if you can share the tips/precaution for that.
    Thanks in advance,
    Misty

Hi Misty,

Were you wondering if you can leave your puppy at home alone in her crate for 2-3 hours? We bring our puppies home at around 7-8 weeks of age and we usually try not too leave our pups in their crates for much more than 2 hours at that age.

Good luck with your training.

Colby

7. Camila Santos says

Hi Colby I recently came across your website while looking for tips to train my 7 week old male shar pei. Last night was our first night…mind you we traveled 5 hours to pick him up and we bought a kennel and after a 5 minute complaining session he passed out in the car for like 4 hours..with some accidents bc we didn’t stop in time hehe.. But once it was bedtime we did everything right we stopped food and water about an hour before bed and took him out for last minute poos and pees and he’s doing amazing. Well we got into bed put him in our room but in his kennel. He cried and whined and howled for like 20min and hubs and I couldn’t take it so we googled ways to soothe him. But we left him in kennel. So I laid next to him and you tubed ticking clock sound and looped it for a total of 5 min and the rest is history..he slept from12:15am-6:30am amazing. And he never pooped or peed in his kennel. He woke me up to pee and as soon as I got him outside he let it rip. he’s awesome :-) any other tips I can get on this monster..he’s starting to chew on my furniture so that’s a big no no. I keep firm and tell him no! Followed by body language. And when u saw he was too wired I took him on a walk and tired him out now he’s sitting on the foot of my recliner snoring :-) any feedback would be appreciated. Ps I know shar peis r stubborn! But he’s so dang cute!! :-) thanks!!

Hi Camila!

Awesome! I’m glad the ticking clock worked! All the tips I have are here in the blog. If you have something specific you can’t find through the navigation or search then please leave me a comment or send me a message through the contact form. Good luck with your training! By the way, I’ll probably add the ticking clock to the list…thanks for the tip! :)

Take care,
      Colby

8. Camila Santos says

Oh might I add we aren’t going to put him in kennel only for travel or bed and we DON’T use it as punishment we don’t want him to hate the kennel. We r thinking a spray bottle for punishment

9. Charmaine says

Hi,
    We have an 8 week old lab. I have tried him on a slip lead twice and he absolutely hates it. What type of leash do you use? He wears his collar with no problem. Any tips please?
    Also I remove the collar when he goes into his crate for a sleep is this correct??
    Charmaine

• says

We just attach our leash to the regular flat collar. We don’t usually make any changes until they are older around 5 or 6 months. My older dogs currently wear a no-pull harness, but I’ve also worked with martingales, training collars, slip leads, and gentle leaders. It all depends on the individual dog.

I remove the collar when I put my pups in the crate that way you don’t run the risk of it getting caught up on the crate.http://puppyintraining.com/wp-admin/edit-comments.php#comments-form

10. Charmaine says

Sorry I forgot to say that I need to get him leashed trained as he wees and pops where he chooses which is fine as its usually the same place in the garden but he then eats stones and its difficult to get him to move. Thanks

• Charmaine says

Thanks Colby. I just tried to walk Jimmy on a soft leash and he fought and yelped and wouldn’t walk. I obviously dudnt have the collar on tight enough as it slipped off and he went straight into his crate Should I be more forceful ? I don’t want to make him scared of me… Should I just put the leash on him so that he gets used to it being there before I pull him along with it?
        Thank you for helping me. Charmaine

Hi Charmaine,

I give my pups 24 hour supervision unless they are in their crate and keep them on leash throughout the day until they are house trained. If they are in crate I take off their leash and collar so it won’t get caught up and accidentally choke them.

You might try using treats or something he really enjoys like his favorite toy to try and lure him forward without having to use force.

Good luck with training!
          Colby

• Charmaine says

Hi Colby,

Thank you so much. Since your advice on this site about using the leash for each “toilet” visit, I have felt so much more in control and this morning when he was hyper, I could use the leash to encourage him back into the house and he went into the crate by himself for a sleep. Yippee!!

I have another question: I guess because the leash is still fairly new he is chewing it a lot. Should I distract him from chewing it every time with his chew toy?

Thanks again,

Charmaine

• says

Our pups are always trying to chew their leash too. We use Bitter Apple Spray to deter the leash chewing. We just spray a little on the leash and allow our puppy to chew/lick the leash. Most puppies find the taste very nasty. We continue doing this until our puppies stop grabbing the leash with their mouth.

Good luck with your training!

11. Lisa daniel says

Hi I have a 15 week old jug puppy who is being crate trained he goes in crate for 3-4 hrs comes out goes toilet and has a play/drink then goes back in crate again for another 3-4 hrs but he still has the odd poop in crate over night or a wee in house during the day we take his water up At around 7.00 pm he last goes out to toilet at 10/11 depending on what time I came home from work he’s feed at 7.00 am and at 4.00 pm.any advice.many thanks

• says

If he’s having accidents in his crate in the middle of the night then a few things you might do are:

1. Thoroughly clean up the crate with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature’s Miracle so he can’t smell any of his previous accidents.
      2. Make sure your crate is properly sized. It should only be big enough for him to stand up and turn around. If it’s too large he may potty on one side and sleep on the other.
      3. If he’s not waking you up when he has to potty you might try setting your alarm in the middle of the night so you can take him out until he can hold it through the night.

You also may want to check with your vet to see if he has any kind of bladder infection.

12. Charmaine says

Hi Colby,
    Our 9 week old lab puppy is really snappy. In your experience how long will this last?

Thanks,

Charmaine

13. natalie says

Hi there

this is the best site i have come across so thsnks for all the information, ive learnt loads reading all the posts, i have an 9 week old german pointer hes an amazing little dog, we took 4 days off with him to slowy introduce him to his crate, hes perfect in this at night now, and only has a tiny cry about a minute at night, its just i need to go back to work now for about 3 weeks and after that he can come with me ro he will need to go in his crate in the day for 2-3 hour periods i will come home inbetween and take him out after the 3 hours play and take him out then pop him back in his crate, i feel terrible about this as when i pop him in in the day if i need to get dresses or something he crys for long time, i had to leave him for a few hours today it was his first time aloan im not sure if he cried or how long for if he did, is this ok? i mean can a dog get so stressed it causes behaviour issues or anything?

sorry for the massive post just really worried

thanks

nat

Hi Natalie,

Thanks for saying! I’m glad you stopped by.

If you think your puppy is spending too much time in the crate you might look into getting a friend, family member, neighbor, or pet sitter to stop by and spend some extra time with your puppy. We try not to crate our puppies for more than 2-3 hours during day when they are around 9 weeks old.

Most of my puppies have cried the first few times they spent time alone in the crate. Unfortunately, to answer your other question a dog/puppy can get behavior issues if he/she is spending too much time in the crate.

Every puppy is a little different. Hopefully everything goes smoothly for you over the next few weeks until your puppy can go to work with you. Good luck with your training!

Take care,
      Colby

14. tgrosch says

I want to be sure I understand the crate and potty training information. You said that you keep the dog in the crate and then take her out when you get home, but should have a leash on when you take her out. Is that correct? If that’s correct, do I need to make sure the leash is on every time I take her out to go potty? I want to just be sure I understand the best process for crate and potty training.
    Thanks so much for this information.

• says

When we take our puppies out to potty we bring them out to their potty spot on leash every time. One thing this does is it allows us to direct our puppies exactly where we want them to potty. Good luck with your training!

15. shell says

Thank you for all the tips that i have read on here. i just got my 8 week puppy last week and crate training is the best solution for a working mama. I leave him alone i know a little longer then i should 4 hrs but when i come home he does not have any accidents in the crate and is ready to pee or poop when i come home. I play with im for a little while probably 30mins and then i have to go back to work. My bf then comes home about 2 1/2 hrs later and feeds him and takes him out for a little ( about an hr spend with him) and then he goes to the gym and then i come home about 3 hrs later. I know this may seem choppy out in out in out in of the crate. My main issue is at night. He starts off ok in the crate when we put him to bed we stop food and all about 2hrs before bedtime. He usually goes to bed ok I leave classical music on for him and then once he wakes up at like 1am all bets are off. I take him out to use the bathroom then straight back to the crate. He just does not want to stop crying whining etc. MY thing is that I really need him to have a good association with the crate b/c i do work. Last week I had a crate that was too big for him and i made half a cozy spot and then other with a pee pad and i wanted to stop that b/c he was starting to poop in it. When i left the crate open last week he would just climb in there and feel safe and relax. now he just doesn’t like it with his smaller crate its and xsmall but still plenty of room ( i have a yorkie only 1.6lbs) but he just doesn’t like it. even when i put him in the crate for a little bit if i’m home on the weekend he freaks even when he sees me. I don’t want to commit to putting him in my room yet at night b/c i feel with patience he may get used to sleeping in the other room. DO you have any tips on what to do with crate training at night not having him in my room and him just whining and crying. I haven’t read any tips on this?? HELP!

• says

Congratulations on your new puppy! We try not to crate our puppies for more than 2-3 hours during the day when they are 8 weeks old.

A few things you might try that have worked for us:

1. Try to use the crate less during the day. If you can’t be home more often you might see if family, friends, neighbors, or a pet sitter can come over during the day.
      2. Try one or more of the 15 different things I suggested in the article. http://puppyintraining.com/crate-training-puppies/
      3. Make sure experiences with the crate are always positive.

Good luck with your training!

16. Amanda says

Great blog, we will be bringing our 8-9 week old lab around Christmas so I will be able to be at home with him for about a week. My husband and I both work and have two young kids. My question is, should we put him in the fenced backyard while we are at work complete with a large doghouse or put him in a bathroom with pee pads? We want him to be an inside/outside dog, in when we are home but didn’t know if leaving him in the fenced yard at 9 weeks was too early. My husband can come check and feed him at lunch and I would get home around 4 each day. I don’t want to do the pee pads for fear that that would encourage peeing in the house. What are your thoughts? Fence is wood slat and wire between so should be safe from being able to get out.

Hi Amanda,

Early congratulations on your new puppy! I prefer keeping my puppies in the house at such a young age. We house train all of our puppies and keep them inside when we are away. If you do decide to leave your puppy in the yard just be sure everything is puppy proof. I keep a constant eye on my pup’s when they are in the yard, but they still like to try and eat everything (leaves, plants, rocks, etc), dig holes, scratch, chew, bark, etc.

Good luck with your training!
      Colby

17. genevieve says

great website you got here! so informative. i bought a big crate with a divider in the middle for my 6 week old husky. i put blankets around it and i also made her area comfortable with toys. i stay with her during the day. when she falls asleep i place her in the crate and when she wakes up i leash her and take her outside so she can relieve herself. i do this maybe 5 times a day however at night she can’t seem to stop howling and crying after i take her out of her crate. she doesn’t relieve herself either when i take her out at night when she howls. she has a piercing howl and i don’t know what to do. no sleep for me!!!

• says

Every puppy is a little different. I’ve had some that only took a day or two to get used to their crate while others have taken up to about a month. It took Stetson about a month to get used to his crate and unfortunately all I can tell you is I got very little sleep for about 1 month. However, after he figured out the crate was okay I did not hear a peep from him for probably about 6 months. I’m not even sure I knew what his bark sounded like for a while. Good luck with your training!

18. Deanna Cook says

Hello,

I have a 9 week old pup who was the alpha in her litter. She hates her crate. Bailey goes in to eat and to check out toys and stuff fine, just don’t close the door. She freaks. I went to dinner for 2 hours and I could hear her screaming outside the house. Bailey screams as soon as she goes in despite toys, heartbeat pillow. Ive even laid besdie her and she wails. HELP!!!!

• says

Congratulations on your new puppy! The list on this page is pretty much everything I’ve tried with my puppies or heard about, but sometimes it just takes time. As I’ve mentioned in the past it took Stetson a month before he got used to staying in his crate. I had many sleepless nights and he honestly did not allow me to sleep for more than 2 hours in a row during that time. Hopefully your puppy adapts quicker. Try to associate as many positive interactions with the crate and over time your puppy will adjust and start behaving while crated.

19. says

Great web site. Excellent Information. I own a company that specializes in products made from a medical fabric that is Soft, 100% waterproof and Machine washable. We make several products that our customers find very helpful for puppy house training and also crate training their dogs, a waterproof crate pad with a removable washable cover, as well as a soft waterproof fleece blanket.

20. says

Man, does this post resonate with me. Our puppy would cry non-stop if she could not see us- let alone being in the crate!

It really is an exercise in patience, and you sometimes think you’re about to lose your mind. And, quite often, you find yourself hating yourself for getting a new puppy!

But, rest assured, it is worth it. :) Our puppy now sleeps through the night, and does not mind her crate at all, In fact, it’s a place where she feels very safe.

• says

I remember going through crate training for the first time with Linus nine years ago and it’s exactly as you said. You hate yourself for bringing home a new puppy, but after a short while Linus learned to love his crate.

21. adrienne says

hi!

me and my fiancée picked up a 6 week old jack Russell and lab mix on Saturday, we bought her crate the same night but she cant stand it! all she does is cry I’ve tried everything and no matter she wont even relax in it a little bit, my fiancée works 12 hour shifts so I’m the one up with her day and night and im expecting my second child in 3 months and im worried she wont be potty trained in time, She’s also going to the bathroom in it too. All I want to do is cry and gve up but I bet some of that Is y hormones too I suppose. Any tips or advice you could give me I’ve read your tips and tried them but nothings working! She’s also having a hard time with potty training too I can bring her outside to go potty after she eats or sleeps and then she still ends up going in the house a few minutes after we get back in. She peed 5 times in 15 minutes today twice outside and three times inside is this normal? PLEASE HELP!

22. says

I tend to think puppies are easier to crate train than older dogs that have never been crated. I’ve had more than one adult foster dog bust out of his/her crate, and boy was that stressful on all of us.

I haven’t had a puppy in awhile, but growing up we had goldens and when they were puppies, we put them in their kennels to sleep in the way you outlined. They would whimper for a night or two and then they got used to the routine.

I adopted my dog Ace when he was a year old, and thankfully he was already crate trained. He would still test his limits and whine for about 20 minutes every time I put him in there, but after about two weeks he stopped. Now I don’t use a crate except when we travel.