We have thousands of puppy names here on the Puppy In Training website and soon we will have the names categorized in a database by cute puppy names, female puppy names, and male puppy names.
We just added a short article that lists the most popular puppy names. Our popular puppy names list is categorized and lists top 20 male puppy names and top 20 female puppy names.
So, why did we put this list together? Well, when you’re choosing a name for your Guide Dog puppy in training it’s sometimes difficult to think of a name beginning with a specific letter.
Our puppy names database right now is organized alphabetically to help puppy raisers find that perfect puppy name.
QUICK RECOMMENDATION: It’s important to get started off on the right foot when bringing home a new puppy. One book that we recommend for new puppy parents is Puppies for Dummies. A great manual that will teach you the basics of raising and training a puppy.
Puppy Names In Alphabetical Order:
How To Name A Guide Dog Puppy
Each guide dog school uses a different methodology for naming their guide dog puppies. At Guide Dogs of America the puppy raiser is given the opportunity to provide a puppy names based on a few simple rules:
- Guide Dogs of America assigns a letter to each litter. For instance, Derby was from the “D” litter and a few of his siblings are Dutch, Dash, and Dexter.
- The name can’t be the same as a current puppy in training, current guide dog, or current breeder.
- It also can’t be a funny type name. For instance, the manual says please no guide dogs by the name of “Popcorn”. Guide Dogs of America are usually pretty lenient. Before getting Stetson I submitted a list to Louise our puppy program manager, and she let me know what names were available/appropriate.
A Memorable Puppy Name
You want to choose a memorable puppy name…this is a name you will be saying thousands of times during your puppy/dog’s lifetime.
Choose carefully and make sure it’s a name that people will remember.
Image Of Your Puppy Name
The image a puppy name conveys is very important for working dogs, service dogs, therapy dogs, and guide dogs.
Some names can cause the general public to respond either positively or negatively towards your puppy.
It also shows how you view your relationship with your puppy/dog.
The Meaning of Your Puppy Name
There are a couple things to consider when it comes to the meaning of your puppies name.
The first thing you want to think about is the literal meaning of your puppy’s name.
You do not want to choose a name that at first sounds cute, but underneath has some kind of negative hidden meaning.
Second, you may choose a name that has meaning to you personally.
For instance, I chose “Stetson’s” puppy name based on an experience I had with family and friends.
How To Name A Litter of Puppies
One final thing I wanted to touch on was how to name a litter of puppies. It was not too long ago that I was fostering puppies for the puppy rescue, Cuddly Canines.
At the time I didn’t think too much about how to name an entire litter of puppies.
However, after a slightly unsuccessful attempt at choosing names for each puppy I decided the best way to name an entire litter of puppies was too use movies, books, famous groups etc. to name my next litter of puppies.
For instance, here are a few examples:
- Litter of 2 puppies – Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream – Two males named “Ben” and “Jerry”
- Litter of 3 puppies – The Three Musketeers – Athos, Porthos, Aramis…you can tack on D’Artagnan too (D’Artagnan was suggested as a name when I had my first “D” puppy from GDA).
- Litter of 4 puppies – The Beatles – John, Paul, George, and Ringo.
- Litter of 5 puppies – Jackson Five – Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, Marlon, and Michael. If you had a couple female puppy names too you could add Janet and LaToya!
You get the idea
Good luck with your search for the perfect puppy name! If you have any original names that aren’t already in our database then please leave a us a comment in the comment section below and we’ll be sure to add it to our list of puppy names.
Are you getting a new puppy soon?
What are you going to name your pup?