This post may contain affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
We haven’t tried all of the slow feeder dog bowls on the market (yet), but we have tried quite a few. In fact, when we first started looking for a solution to Stetson’s fast eating over 5 years ago we were only able to find 1 dog bowl designed for fast eating dogs.
We actually first saw the original blue BrakeFast Dog Bowl when we were taking Linus to Puppy Kindergarten way back in 2004. At that time we only had Linus and he ate very slowly. In fact he used to grab a mouthful of kibble, drop it on the carpet, then eat each piece 1 at a time. Now that’s the definition of slow eating!
Stetson was our first guide dog puppy in training and he gulped his food, then often times threw up a few seconds/minutes later. So thus started our search for the best slow feed dog bowl.
Our Top 3 Slow Feeder Dog Bowls
Over the years we’ve tested several slow feeder dog bowls, but we’ve only tested 3 that we truly liked for Stetson.
Our current reigning champion and favorite slow feeder dog bowl is the bowl we just reviewed this past week…
#1 – Martha Stewart Pets Slow Feeder Dog Bowl
- Martha Stewart Pets Slow Feeder Dog Bowl – Our newest review and current favorite slow feeder dog bowl.
3 quick points about the Martha Stewart Slow Feeder Dog Bowl
- The bowl feels more sturdy and durable than all the other dog bowls we reviewed except the Metal BrakeFast Bowl.
- It took about 2x as long for Stetson to finish his meal using this bowl and no choking or vomiting since we started using it.
- I’m hoping the plastic does not cause allergies or acne with Stetson. So far so good!
#2 Metal BrakeFast Dog Food Bowl
- Metal BrakeFast Dog Food Bowl – The metal version of the popular BrakeFast Dog Food Bowl.
3 quick points about the Metal BrakeFast Dog Bowl
- This was by far the heaviest, sturdiest bowl we reviewed. Very durable!
- It took close to 2x as long for Stetson to eat food out of this bowl versus his regular bowl.
- The one major drawback with this bowl is Stetson sometimes eats so violently that he chipped his tooth. That’s the main reason why we opted for the Martha Stewart Bowl as our #1 bowl. If your dog is not a violent eater then this bowl may work for you.
#3 Aikiou Dog Bowl
Aikiou Dog Bowl – They actual official name is the Aikiou Interactive Dog Feeder. So technically it may not be considered an official dog bowl.
3 quick points about the Aikiou Dog Bowl
- It’s an interactive dog feeder that really makes you dog think.
- It definitely slows down your dogs eating as he has to move different pieces around to reveal the different chambers of food.
- It takes a little extra time to load the food and to clean up after your dog is finished eating.
And The Rest Of The Slow Feeder Dog Bowls
Here are the other dog bowls we’ve reviewed over the years. You’ll see Derby and Stetson both helped in some of our video reviews.
- DogPause Dog Bowl – This dog bowl is a little bit different. Instead of obstacles or pillars in the bowl it has 4 separate chambers.
- EatBetter Dog Bowl – We really liked the sturdy durable construction of this dog bowl, but the little dog bone shaped obstacle did not slow down our pups much.
- Regular Blue BrakeFast Dog Bowl – We liked this dog food bowl, but it ended up not being too durable (the dogs chewed up some of the pillars) and Stetson ended up with canine acne/allergies and our vet said it could have been from this plastic dog bowl.
- DrinkBetter Dog Water Bowl – Not a dog food bowl, but this was a water bowl. It was meant to slow down fast drinkers, but instead it made a water mess on our tile floors.
All of these dog bowls worked to some degree slowing down my pups. Some better than others.
If you watch all of the video reviews you’ll notice that Stetson has slowed down his eating over the years.
Do you have a slow feeder dog bowl that works well for your dog? If so, please tell us about it in the comment section below. In the coming days we will review the KONG Wobbler, another dog toy that can help with fast eating dogs. So don’t forget to follow us:
Top Picks For Our Puppies
- BEST DOG CHEW
We Like: Beef Collagen Sticks - All of our pups love to bite, nip, and chew. We love using Collagen Sticks to help divert these unwanted behaviors.
- BEST PUPPY TOY
We Like: Calmeroos Puppy Toy w/ Heartbeat and Heat Packs - Perfect for new puppies. Helps ease anxiety in their new home.
- BEST DOG TREATS
We Like: Crazy Dog Train-Me Treats - We use these as our high-value treats for our guide dog puppies.
- BEST FRESH DOG FOOD
We Like: The Farmer's Dog - A couple months ago we started feeding Raven fresh dog food and she loves it! Get 50% off your first order of The Farmer's Dog.
Check out more of our favorites on our New Puppy Checklist.