I have a labrador retriever and from what I’ve heard they are prone to overeating as well as eating way too fast. As a puppy Stetson would eat his cup of food in probably under 20 seconds…pretty much just inhaling the food. A few times a week he’d vomit uneaten kibble in the middle of this feeding frenzy. Even when he wasn’t vomiting he’d sometime stop in the middle of eating and just sit there with his nose facing straight towards the ceiling as if he had kibble stuck in his throat and was trying to relax and get it down to his stomach. Needless to say this was very much a problem for both me and my dog. I didn’t like cleaning up vomit and I’m pretty sure he didn’t like vomiting. Here’s a list of things people recommended I try:
- Put a rock in his bowl – I tried this and it worked okay, but I didn’t want to bring a rock with me any time Stetson and I weren’t at home
- Use a Bundt Pan – I didn’t try this one, but could see how it would work
- Use a large flat pan – I tried this one and it worked for Stetson. The only problem was I didn’t have a pan that I wanted to use exclusively for Stetson and not use for cooking (kind of a lame excuse, but i wanted an actual dog product).
- Softball in Bowl – I didn’t try this one either, but would expect that as a bigger dog Stetson would just remove the ball from the bowl before eating.
- Brake-Fast Doggie Bowl – At doggie obedience class they were selling this bowl which basically has three prongs to prevent the dog from eating extremely fast. This is the solution I’m currently using.
The Brake-Fast Dog Food Bowl has been working great for Stetson and definitely slows his eating down. I purchased it while attending Sue Myles Companion Dogs training class in Fountain Valley. By the way, Sue Myles is a great dog trainer and I highly recommend anyone to attend her group training classes. She has a real enthusiasm for her work with both people and dogs and also offers many great products and treats that you won’t find at your regular dog or pet store.
A couple website you might want to visit if you are interested in this bowl are the Brake-Fast Dog Food Bowl amazon product website and another site I stumbled across that had a short review and plenty of comments called Strange New Products(Brake Fast Dog Bowl Review) .
I’d like to hear your comments on this product. Have you used this product? What do you do to prevent your dog from eating too fast?